Sign Up for Email Alerts
All Stylus E-Books
E-Books by Subject
E-Book Exam Copy
IET/SCI Exam Copies
Blogs & Communities
Request Email Alerts
Guide to Metering Systems
Specification, Installation and Use
Paper: 978 1 78561 059 2 / $83.00
Published: June 2017
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
6 1/8" x 9 1/5"
Metering systems are a key technology for the management of energy and environment services, and for cost allocation and resource efficiency of systems and subsystems in industrial, commercial and SME applications. Good practice in the application of metering is fundamental to successful regulatory compliance, operational & resource efficiency and cost saving. This entails appropriate design, specification, installation and integration of metering systems as well as suitable management oversight and responsibility.
Metering provides the technical underpinning for the measurement of energy and utility services, and provides a key information source for organizations looking to apply cost saving, performance improvement and/or energy management activities at a plant, building or site level. Appropriate use of metering can therefore support asset owners/system operators as part of an overall asset management system.
However, common issues can adversely affect the application of metering systems, including:
* awareness of the purpose of metering (what needs to be managed?)
* understanding the meaning of meter data/meter readings (what needs to be measured?)
* ensuring fit-for-purpose meter system implementation (how to specify, install and use as appropriate)
These issues could in turn prejudice the justification and success of follow-up cost saving, performance improvement or energy management activities.
The guide details the key steps in applying metering systems from design and specification, to technology selection, installation and commissioning, and finally operation and maintenance along with integration of metering data into reporting/management systems, to support identification of cost saving, energy management and resource efficiency measures.
Checklists for metering of key services (such as electricity, gas, water, heat) are also provided to support organizational policies, practices and procedures.
Key benefits of the guide:
* Outlines the role of metering within energy and environment management systems and resource efficiency strategies
* Highlights key process stages in the application of fit-for-purpose metering within the context of overall management systems
* Provides insight into end use of meter data and key technical steps to enable safe and effective metering systems
Table of Contents:
Considerations for the specification of metering equipment
Data, communications and dashboards
Related Titles by Subject:
Electronics, Automation & Robotics
Building and Construction
Blogs & Communities
© 2017 Stylus Publishing, LLC Prices and descriptions subject to change without notice.